The Cage is a temporary working title for my work-in-progess book about the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines in the Vietnam War (Special Landing Force Alpha). “The Cage” refers to Operation Beaver Cage, a key event in the story. This page provides access to declassified documents, photographs shared by Marine veterans, and other resources discovered during the research. These resources will remain online as companions to the forthcoming book.
Following are resources that I have created for research and as companions to the book.
Operation Beaver Cage – Command Chronology
Declassified record of the Vietnam War chronicling Apr 1 to May 13, 1967.
1/3 Marines – Delta Company Weapons Platoon
Photograph of Delta Company Weapons Platoon with most individuals identified.
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs by Curt Bruce
Photographs from Curt Bruce (Delta Co) taken during his 1965 – 1966 tour of duty.
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs from Gary Culp
Photographs from Gary Culp (Delta Co) taken during his tour of duty.
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs by Jack DePope
Photographs from Jack “Doc” DePope (a Corpsman in Delta Co) taken during his 1966 – 1967 tour of duty.
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs by James Haight
Photographs from James Haight (Delta Co) taken during his tour of duty.
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs from Jim Shipp
Photograph from Jim Shipp (Delta Co) taken during his tour of duty.
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs from Kevin Brooks
Photographs from Kevin Brooks (Charlie Co) taken during his tour of duty.
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs from Raymond Kelley
Photographs from Ray “Machine Gun” Kelley (a Machine Gunner in Delta Co) taken during his tour of duty..
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs by Stanley Hall
Photographs from Stanley “Doc” Hall (a Corpsman in Delta Co) taken during his tour of duty (around April 1967).
Silver Star Ceremony Honoring L/Cpl. Raymond Kelley – Vietnam War
Silver Star Medal presentation ceremony for Ray (“Machine Gun”) Kelley.
Vietnam, 1967 – Amphibious Combat
A documentary about Amphibious Warfare in Vietnam, I-Corps, 1967 by Donald F. Teal, M.D.
Vietnam War Reference Resources
Following are external resources that I’ve also found helpful in my research.
- 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, Combat Operations Chronology & History, Dec, 1965 – Sept, 1967
- A map of 1/5 operation locations with links to operation summaries. Features Operation Union I, which 1/3 participated in (intertwined with Operation Beaver Cage).
- 9th Marine Amphibious Brigade – Command
Chronologies & After Action Reports.
- A Chronology Of Marine Helicopters In Vietnam 1962-1975
- Alpha Company, 1st Batallion, 5th Marines – Vietnam
- An Analysis ofthe Special Landing Force during the
Vietnam War from 1965 to 1969
- Beaver Cage photos, De La Garza
- CHERRIESWRITER – VIETNAM WAR WEBSITE – a blog.
- Coastal Division 12 Records. 1967-1970, COLL/462
- Coffelt Database of Vietnam Casualties
- Command Chronologies: Vietnam War, National Archives
- Harold T. Gillis, memorial page
- Glenn Joseph Blackburn, Silver Star citation
- Individual Operation Reports, www.recordsofwar.com
- Interview with Donald F. Teal: Transcript, University of Oregon Veterans – Lt Medical Corps, USNR on the USS Okinawa, 1967
- Marine Corps University – Famous Quotes
- Marine Corps University – Vietnam War Publications Online
- Marine Corps Vietnam Series
- The Marines in Vietnam, 1954-1973, An Anthology and Annotated Bibliography, 1974 ; reprinted 1983
- U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1954-1964, The Advisory and Combat
Assistance Era, 1977
- U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1965, The Landing and the Buildup, 1978
- U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1966, An Expanding War, 1982
- U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1967, Fighting the North Vietnamese, 1984
- In Preparation
- Functional History Series
- Chaplains with Marines in Vietnam, 1962-1971, 1985
- U.S. Marine Corps Aviation In Southeast Asia, 1962-1975, in preparation
- My Vietnam Experience – a blog.
- One Three Marines – This site is dedicated to the brave men and women who have proudly served with 1/3 throughout the unit’s history. Its mission is to promote the brotherhood of our Marines and to keep the spirit of Semper Fidelis alive. Maintained by Don Bumgarner and is not authorized by the United States Marine Corps.
- Patience Mason’s PTSD Blog
- Patience Press – Patience Press started in 1993 with the publication of Why Is Daddy Like He Is? a book for the children of veterans with PTSD and the first issue of The Post-Traumatic Gazette. The press also sold remaining hardback copies of the Viking (1990) edition of Recovering from the War: A Woman’s Guide to Helping Your Vietnam Veteran, Your Family and Yourself.
- The Four Gates to Hell, a personal account by Dick Culver
- The Special Landing Force
- The Water Run, Gary Davis, Facebook
- Vietnam Combat Operations, 1967 (a chronology)
- vietnamwar.net – Educational, Entertainment, and Research
Material Relevant to the Study of the Vietnam War
- Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association
- VWAM – Vietnam History and Educational Site
- Whiskey 2/12 Photos
Vietnam War Maps
- Map Series L7014 – Index to Maps of Vietnam 1:50,000 – JPEG image, UC Berkely Library Web
- Texas Tech University – The Vietnam Center and Archive
- Maps Collection – To find maps, enter a search query in the Texas Tech Maps Collection. For example, “6640-2” to find SHEET 6640 II of SERIES L7014.