The Cage is a temporary code name for a book project I’m working on, which is about the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines in the Vietnam War. “The Cage” refers to Operation Beaver Cage, one of the most notable operations that 1/3 engaged in. Operation Beaver Cage will be a major topic of the book, if not the central focus. This area provides access to various resources that I have been using for research, that may remain online as companions to the book, and that I hope will be a useful contribution to the historical record.
Following are resources that I have created for research and as companions to the book.
- Operation Beaver Cage – Command chronology from the Vietnam War – 1 April 1967 through 13 May 1967
- 1/3 Marines – Weapons Platoon
- Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs by Stanley Hall
Following are external resources that I’ve also found helpful in my research.
- CHERRIESWRITER – VIETNAM WAR WEBSITE – a blog.
- My Vietnam Experience – a blog.
- One Three Marines – This site is dedicated to the brave men and women who have proudly served with 1/3 throughout the unit’s history. Its mission is to promote the brotherhood of our Marines and to keep the spirit of Semper Fidelis alive. Maintained by Don Bumgarner and is not authorized by the United States Marine Corps.
- Texas Tech University – The Vietnam Center and Archive
- Maps Collection – To find maps, enter a search query in the Texas Tech Maps Collection. For example, “6640-2” to find SHEET 6640 II of SERIES L7014.