The Cage is a temporary code name for a book project I’m working on, which is about the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines in the Vietnam War. “The Cage” refers to Operation Beaver Cage, one of the most notable operations that 1/3 engaged in. Operation Beaver Cage will be a major topic of the book, if not the central focus. This area provides access to various resources that I have been using for research, that may remain online as companions to the book, and that I hope will be a useful contribution to the historical record.
Following are resources that I have created for research and as companions to the book.
Operation Beaver Cage – Command chronology from the Vietnam War – 1 April 1967 through 13 May 1967
A declassified record of the Vietnam War from the period of Apr 1, 1967 to May 13, 1967, which generally pertains to the operation known as “Beaver Cage”.
1/3 Marines – Weapons Platoon
A photograph of 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines – Weapons Platoon, with some names identified.
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs by Jack DePope
A collection of photographs by Jack “Doc” DePope (a Corpsman in Delta Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines) taken during his 1966 – 1967 tour of duty in the Vietnam War.
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs by Stanley Hall
A collection of photographs by Stanley “Doc” Hall (a Corpsman in Delta Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines) taken during his tour of duty in the Vietnam War (around April 1967).
Vietnam Tour of Duty Photographs by Raymond Kelley
A collection of photographs by Ray “Machine Gun” Kelley (a Machine Gunner in Delta Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines) taken during his tour of duty in the Vietnam War.
Following are external resources that I’ve also found helpful in my research.
- A Chronology Of Marine Helicopters In Vietnam 1962-1975
- An Analysis ofthe Special Landing Force during the Vietnam War from 1965 to 1969
- Beaver Cage photos, De La Garza
- CHERRIESWRITER – VIETNAM WAR WEBSITE – a blog.
- Coastal Division 12 Records. 1967-1970, COLL/462
- Command Chronologies: Vietnam War, National Archives
- Harold T. Gillis, memorial page
- Glenn Joseph Blackburn, Silver Star citation
- Individual Operation Reports, www.recordsofwar.com
- My Vietnam Experience – a blog.
- One Three Marines – This site is dedicated to the brave men and women who have proudly served with 1/3 throughout the unit’s history. Its mission is to promote the brotherhood of our Marines and to keep the spirit of Semper Fidelis alive. Maintained by Don Bumgarner and is not authorized by the United States Marine Corps.
- Texas Tech University – The Vietnam Center and Archive
- Maps Collection – To find maps, enter a search query in the Texas Tech Maps Collection. For example, “6640-2” to find SHEET 6640 II of SERIES L7014.
- The Four Gates to Hell, a personal account by Dick Culver
- The Special Landing Force
- The Water Run, Gary Davis, Facebook
- Vietnam Combat Operations, 1967 (a chronology)
- Whiskey 2/12 Photos